52 Week Mini Art Card/Tag Challenge

Thursday 14 February 2019

Valentine Card (Slightly Steampunk Style)


It's that time of year when everything turns to love.  Hubby and I have been together many years. Over that time, we have given each other most types of cards, so it's not easy to try to make something different.

This year, I decided to go in a slightly "Steam punk" style.  He's an engineer, so I think he will appreciate the cogs etc.

I have had a pack of coloured textured paper for years, so I decided to use some of it on this card.  The brown paper looks a bit like leather.  I found an off-cut of tape measure paper and cut off a couple of pieces and stuck them into position.

The MDF cogs came in a Craft Box from last year.  I coated them in Cosmic shimmer "Old Gold Gilding Wax" and then stuck on top of the textured paper.  

I then die cut a heart (using a Tonic Die), in red paper and backed it with cardboard to stiffen it. I added a touch of the gilding wax to the edges of the heart.  I glued it into position, but had to elevate the area that doesn't sit on the cogs with a double layer of foam pads.  

I used a Stampin' Up "Expression Thinlits" to die cut the love word and punched the small red hearts with an Xcut punch.  Finally, I glued the key and the little fluted edge sequin style discs into position.

6 comments:

  1. love this card Samantha, the cogs would seem a perfect choice for your husband, great masculine card

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meg. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Sam x

      Delete
  2. Fabulous Steampunk card love the heart and all the cogs and key
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Sam, love the awesome cogs and keys etc, it all looks sensational x

    ReplyDelete